Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

FYI

Starts: 09 Jan 2017 Ends: 04 Apr 2017
Reptile8030
ArmyOCS.com Member

FYI

Postby Reptile8030 Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Just so everyone is tracking this class is going to be back logged hard. There are 93 of us here already who were supposed to get into the 001 class and that class was cancelled, so when this class hits there are going to a lot of people competing to get into this class, more than likely a high PT score will be required to get in, also D co is picking up this class. The max number of people they take is 120, so good luck to all slated for this class.
tarheel503
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: FYI

Postby tarheel503 Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm in the same boat with you as far as 001-17 being cancelled. That being said, a lot is still up in the air at this point or statements that begin with the phrase "I heard..." which I have learned to disregard entirely. One day you hear 120, the other day 160, and last I heard is that it will be Charlie Co augmented with some of Bravo's cadre to handle a load up to 160.

But yes, that class will be crowded, however I would hesitate to speculate too much on specifics at this point.
Zb2016
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Zb2016 Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:30 am

I'm in the same boat as well. I just graduated BCT at Benning with about 60 other college option guys who are headed to the 09JAN class. Like everyone's mentioned there's a lot of "I've heard " going around. I didn't know there was 90 holdovers. I'd heard that it was 50 or so. But who knows best of luck to everyone
dcol
2LT
2LT

Postby dcol Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:44 pm

You all are in the same boat OC's have been in for quite some time:
When I arrived August there was a backlog for Delta, and all the security holds received an automatic class up, provided they passed their APFT.
Alpha classed up with 80 students (many of us got the golden ticket because we were security holds, and the rest were left to compete with APFT scores), and we graduated with 90ish after inserts from land nav, history, and 3LTs finally receiving their clearance.
Just before the Thanksgiving break, Delta cased their colors; OCS is drawing down along with the rest of the army.
For a while the BC wasn't even sure if Bravo would be classing up, but they finally did with less than the prescribed 80.
Cadre numbers fluctuate, Charlie cadre got pulled to augment Bravo when they classed, and as of late a few of the cadre were pulled from Alpha after we got out of the field to augment Charlie for the anticipated Jan class- - and so the cycle goes.

If/When Charlie classes up, all of you who are security holds will automatically class up. The rest of you will either compete with APFT scores, and some will inevitably be placed in the security hold cycle.
Control what you can. HHC isn't a bad place, but it is far too easy to get in trouble with the idle time and TRADOC silly rules. "Perception is reality," don't ever forget it.
Your days will be filled with duty, area beautification, and details for the other companies. If you get a chance, play OPFOR during squad and platoon lanes- it will put you light years ahead of the game watching them brief OPORDs and AARs.
Get in the top 3 so you have a sense of purpose and a great working relationship with the cadre- it will benefit you once you finally class up. The commander and 1Sgt are great people and really care about everyone there. They put in a good word for all of us before we classed up, and were there on graduation day to visit with us.

PT, take advantage of the 3LTs to discuss OPORDS and land nav, and don't get complacent. Seriously. Your OCS experience is what you make of it. By far some of the most fun I have ever had while learning.

My roommate and I left a Keurig in the office, and an HDMI cable is wrapped up behind the mounted TV for your PS4 and XBOX during night and weekend duty.
nchopp
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator

Postby nchopp Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:26 pm

What the deuce is a 3LT?

Sounds like things haven't changed too much since 2011 - same problem of too many candidates and not enough seats.

That being said, I think things might change soon due to the drawdown reversal - wouldn't be surprised if OCS grows again in the near future.
"Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility." Peter F. Drucker
tarheel503
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby tarheel503 Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:27 pm

A 3LT is a term cadre came up with for candidates who successfully completed the OCS curriculum but are unable to commission for administrative reasons, 99% of the time being the security clearance screwup that has been going on. The 3LTs have been assisting cadre with various tasks while they stay at HHC awaiting commissioning.

Also for those who haven't heard, Bravo 001-17 did eventually class up and is in cycle now. Good luck to everyone trying to make it into 002-17.

Return to “Class 002-17”