Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Government shutdown

Start: 22 Jan 2018 End: 16 Apr 2018
camclif31
ArmyOCS.com Member

Government shutdown

Postby camclif31 Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:32 pm

I don't know who else is in this position for class but I was scheduled to report on Sunday but was told today that my TDY is on hold. Due to the government shutdown looming, all TDY has been postponed. All my bags are packed and I am ready to go but now it is one more small hurdle. :?
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Re: Government shutdown

Postby 35FUSAR Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:31 am

Just be glad you haven't started already when this happened.

It isn't the first time, and it wont be the last.
dphalen03
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby dphalen03 Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 am

I’m at Benning now staying in a hotel until I report tomorrow. I have not heard anything about my TDY, but I traveled before things got shut down. I’ll try and get some details tomorrow. I’m assuming you’ll just report when things get booted back up.
kniqhto
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby kniqhto Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 am

I'm in the same boat you're in right now, DPhalen, and I'm not asking anyone from back at my unit about TDY statuses for "pre-shutdown." I'm just going to report in and hope for the best. Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow.
steverogers1989
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby steverogers1989 Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:47 am

Has anyone received word from the school house or OCS HRC? I was able to speak to an OC who said the PT test and report were potentially pushed back due to the CR / TDY personnel.
kniqhto
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby kniqhto Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 pm

I wouldn't sweat it. Just report on Sunday if you're a 22JAN18 class-person, and it will all work itself out. I would imagine for those that are getting their TDY "cancelled," the OCS Program Office (once their furloughs are lifted) will re-slot those guys for the next available class. This is just my speculation, of course, but it doesn't seem that OCS will stop the show, except for in-processing/out-processing situations that directly involve Department of the Army Civilians. It all depends on what Fort Benning command group believes is crucial to their mission set.
camclif31
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby camclif31 Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:44 pm

I got to Fort Benning this afternoon and will report in as scheduled tomorrow. My unit received guidance saying that OCS is an essential element of the military and the TDY status is still good. This wasn't the case for many other soldiers that start TDY this weekend. Hopefully this doesn't change too much for OCS but I have been told the same thing about the PT test being moved back to Tuesday. Good luck to everyone!
Cistmai
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Cistmai Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:01 pm

With this shutdown does anybody know what happens to those who are scheduled for future classes? Since some state their TDY is postposned, do they reschedule the later classes or what??
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Please understand what follows is one officer's opinion and does not necessarily reflect the OCS Battalion's plan moving forward ...

Considering the shutdown lasted only the weekend and a day, there may be a ripple effect to the upcoming classes but I would think the effect would be minimal. I would assume the school could roll the students into the next class and use the initial APFT as a clearinghouse for the foreseeable schedule.

For those of you who don't know, when OCS has more students for a class than seats in the class, the school takes the top X performers in the initial APFT to "class up." Traditionally, the number was 160 but that could be different. As long as students pass the APFT (180, 60 in each event) they get can keep rolling over to the next class to try to get a seat then.

The simplest solution would be to push back the class until next Monday but curriculum scheduling may not allow for that to happen.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous

Return to “Class 003-18”