Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Land Nav Prep

Physical Training, Getting Ready, Soldiering and Training
everetttt
ArmyOCS.com Member

Land Nav Prep

Postby everetttt Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 am

For those of you who have not done much land nav in the civilian world, I found a good resource to help learn and train land nav similar to the military technique. The US gov't publishes topographic maps which you can search by location on a map. You can either download the PDF version for free or buy a physical copy from the site (usually around $15). If you download the PDF, I would recommend downloading several maps from your surrounding area and having a local print shop run you off the copies on quality paper.

Website, United States Geological Survey: https://store.usgs.gov/map-locator

IMPORTANT - Most of these maps are scaled 1:24000. Use a protractor which is designed to work with a 1:24000 scale map.

There are obviously many other important elements to land navigation other than the map. The map is no use if one does not understand how to read it, how to recognize the terrain features, and how to correctly plot points. The map cannot be used, or used safely, if one does not know how to use it. But I think these maps are a valuable resource to help learn land navigation in a setting which is familiar, in a terrain which can easily be visualized when looking at the map.

I think one should watch several of the videos online explaining the important points of Army land nav (especially pace count) as well as reading the Army publications on land nav before stepping outside to use the map.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Land Nav Prep

Postby RedOctopus Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks! I've done "land nav" ie. orienting a map and finding points with Boy Scouts (and getting a pace count), but this should help a lot more. I'd like to do some land nav practice before I ship to Basic and OCS this year.
everetttt
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Land Nav Prep

Postby everetttt Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:54 pm

Thanks! I've done "land nav" ie. orienting a map and finding points with Boy Scouts (and getting a pace count), but this should help a lot more. I'd like to do some land nav practice before I ship to Basic and OCS this year.

No problem! I thought this would be a good resource because the maps are both reliable and relevant. I have heard of some people joining an "orienteering club" to help with land nav. I would check them out if you are looking for a relaxed and social way to learn/practice land nav.

viewtopic.php?p=3490#p3490

viewtopic.php?p=340667#p340667

Return to “Preparing for Basic Training”