Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Requesting a construction EN unit?

tarheel503
ArmyOCS.com Member

Requesting a construction EN unit?

Postby tarheel503 Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 pm

I have branched Engineer. I realize it is a very diverse branch and that I should have an understanding of all aspects, but my main interests are construction and the prime power units. Is there a way to request these? I sent an email to my branch manager on this past Monday with a brief introduction and a list of some construction BNs that I found, along with the one prime power BN out of Ft. Belvoir. I haven't heard back yet. Any advice is most appreciated.
TheArmenian
CPT
CPT

Re: Requesting a construction EN unit?

Postby TheArmenian Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:34 pm

As a 2LT, you are going where branch tells you. As far as Prime Power, unfortunately that's a matter of timing at BOLC and they do prefer a background in electrical engineering. At BOLC you will cover a little bit of everything, at your unit you will get assigned a platoon based on the unit's lieutenant slate, with a focus on getting you at least 12 months of PL time and potentially an XO slot prior to your CPT's board. There are way too many lieutenants for branch to assign based on preference and unfortunately, you are at their whim.

If you do want a say in some of what you do, focus on broadening assignments post PL time. Look into USACE slots, TEC-DP, ENSOF, and NRO opportunities (research these programs and let your unit leadership know about the programs that interest you). These are all unique assignments all over the Army, that provide you with experience and depth that will set you apart from your peers. At ECCC, you will have the opportunity to get a Master's Degree (probably in Geological Engineering, do to your non-technical undergrad), do it! It is a great opportunity to use your Post 9-11 GI Bill (6 months of GI Bill for a full Master's Degree). You may even be afforded the opportunity to get a PMP certification, do that as well. You may get some input into your post ECCC assignment, but it will still be at the whim of the Army.

No matter where you end up, just remember that all Soldiers deserve good leadership and the Army is trusting you to provide it. As an officer you will be responsible for the planning of training, maintenance of equipment, and the accountability of the property; it doesn't matter if it is a Sapper Platoon, Horizontal, Vertical, or any other type of platoon. Learn what you can about your specific platoon mission and execute that mission.
Essayons!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
-Edmund Burke
tarheel503
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby tarheel503 Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks for the input CPT.

Follow up question: I got an auto-generated ATRRS email with my BOLC date for March 6, and our OCS graduation is Feb 23. However, I have gotten no info so far whatsoever if I am going TDY or PCS to Ft. Leonard Wood. I've been hearing conflicting things at the schoolhouse about this and reading conflicting things online, e.g.: one such statement is that you're TDY unless your follow on duty station is Ft. Leonard Wood, and then it would be PCS. Ok, that's fine, but I don't have info yet on a duty station either. With graduation coming up next week, at what point should I start to be concerned, or is this normal?
DStephens
CPT
CPT

Postby DStephens Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:46 pm

You will PCS to Leonard Wood. Graduating on the 23rd and starting class on the 6th seems terribly close together. It doesn't give you much time at all to go home, get your stuff together, and get to Leonard Wood.
TheArmenian
CPT
CPT

Postby TheArmenian Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:49 pm

You will PCS to FLW for BOLC, but that doesn't necessarily mean you are staying there. I had a similar situation, where I ended up having issues with my initial PCS because I didn't bring everything from my home of record to BOLC with me. I would call B/554th EN BN and find out what other OCS graduates have been doing with their household goods. Ask whether they recommend you do a personally procured move (PPM) and rent a U-Haul to bring everything from your home of record to BOLC or if they recommend doing your home of record move after BOLC.
Essayons!
-Edmund Burke
tarheel503
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby tarheel503 Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:03 pm

TheArmenian, could you clarify what you mean by problems with your initial PCS? Do you mean from BOLC to your first real unit? I'm trying to avoid any potential speed bumps in the future.

As far as moving my home items, it's kind of settled already since I put everything into a U-Box when I was moving out of my apartment that I had before I joined the Army, so it's just a matter of having it shipped to FLW. All other items not in storage in the U-Box have been in the back of my car since OCS (my parents drove it down to Ft. Benning and put it into storage there while I was in BCT).

Also, do you have advice on apartments for EBOLC? From reading their website, it looks like the on post hotel won't be an option since I'm not TDY unfortunately. Although, if there are exceptions to that rule, please let me know. Would I stay in the on post hotel with permissive TDY while I find a place? Pardon my ignorance if some of these questions seem remedial but this is still a little new to me.
tarheel503
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby tarheel503 Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Disregard my last, I got to the schoolhouse and they got me squared away.
TheArmenian
CPT
CPT

Postby TheArmenian Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:37 pm

Tarheel,

Sorry for the delay, been away from the site for a bit. Glad the schoolhouse got you squared away. My issue was ignorance to how a PCS should work, after OCS I reported to BOLC without bringing my household goods, at the time OCS grads were sent off post and the move counted as my home of record move, which left me to deal with the expense of moving my property from my home of record at my own expense. It was user error on my part because I thought I would be able to grab my household goods between BOLC and my first duty station.
Essayons!
-Edmund Burke

Return to “Corps of Engineers”