Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Can you bring boots to basic/ocs?

This is a forum for those questions and comments that don't quite fit anywhere else.
happy_
ArmyOCS.com Member

Can you bring boots to basic/ocs?

Postby happy_ Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:42 pm

Just wondering if we can bring our own boots to OCS? I have a friend that gets discounts for Oakley, so wanted to buy them now and bring them to OCS... But would have to pack them with me and carry around at basic training first. Does anyone think this would be doable or is worth it? I've heard that it's good to have a few pairs of boots in OCS, but understand I'll only be able to wear the standard issue boots in basic.

Thanks in advance for any tips/info.
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Re: Can you bring boots to basic/ocs?

Postby 35FUSAR Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:41 pm

I presume you can bring them (I'd simply wear them to BCT/reception and swap when you get issued new ones).

What will probably happen, is you will keep the boots in your personal property duffel bag and it will be quarantined and you won’t see it again until you graduate BCT. Then you pull them out before you board the bus to OCS and wear them from then on out.

Technically you could wear them at BCT, but realistically you are painting a bulls-eye on your forehead if you do, and risk getting them taken away. No reg saying you can't wear them so long as they are within uniform reg. Also, if you were Reserve/NG you could wear your unit Patch too (it's in the TRADOC regs), but that again is a bulls-eye.

I would break the boots in ASAP, and wear them as much as you can before you ship out.

Personally I have a bias toward Danner boots.

Personal experience, the issued boots crushed my feed, and made my toes numb (from two months of wear). It took over a year for that numbness to go away.

Boots and socks are the uniform items I will spend any amount of money needed to take care of the best I can. There is no price too high. Once they feet fail you everything else will follow.
happy_
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby happy_ Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:33 am

Oh shoot. I've heard of getting bloody toes or heels too - what I'm trying to avoid. I received a tip to wear two layers of socks in the beginning to break in the new boots, so I'll give that a try.

I probably won't be brave enough to wear my own boots to BCT though. If I get the chance, I might just have a family member bring them for me at graduation between BCT & OCS, and hopefully avoid the unwanted bullseye.

Thanks very much for your input, appreciate it.
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Postby 35FUSAR Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Don't forget socks.

Also, if you showed up with a new pair of running shoes that aren't crazy colors you could probably wear those at Basic. If you have to buy new running shoes you are only going to get ONE choice they have on the wall at the PX.
Thundercathooo
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Thundercathooo Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:14 pm

You can most definitely wear your own boots at OCS. You have people coming from all over the Army and other branches that aren't going to have the issued boots from BCT. Now at BCT, I had a drill tell me that you are not allowed to wear your own boots because if something were to happen to your foot and you aren't wearing their prescribed boots, the fault can be put on you. Not entirely sure how true that is. I, for one, wouldn't bring them just because of the sheer amount of stealing that goes on. Hope this helps
ncmilano
Army Officer

Postby ncmilano Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:17 pm

You will probally have your boots taken at basic and made to use the army issued pair. The reason so many people have boot issues at basic is that they are not used to it. If your worried about it buy a paid of boots and walk around in them every day and do a few jogs. Toughen up those feet.

As a former basic training company commander I never saw Nike boots unless they were on my Drill Sergeants. For what it's worth I have never used anything other than the issued paid or cheapest basic boot at the px.

Good luck...
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:17 pm

Take care of your feet and they will take care of you.
This saying is so true. The fit of the boot is most important. Not the cost. Find ones that fit well regardless of cost. I also recommend sticking with a style/model of boot that works for you. My last pair worked so well for me, I bought the same pair when we changed from ACP to Scorpion. I'll buy the same model when these ones become unserviceable.

Regarding the OP's question, in all likelihood you will be expected to surrender your boots along with your running shoes and other personal items. When you are issued boots you will be able to try on multiple pairs. I doubt Oakleys will be among your options but there will be Danners and Bellvilles which many Soldiers prefer. Toughening up your feet before going to basic will make breaking in new boots easier.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:16 pm

I agree with the other comments that you'll pretty much have to shut up and color at basic. Take what you get issued and drive on. Ditto also the comments that the issue boots are actually pretty good, if you get the right fit and break them in. A kid in my platoon at OCS bled through his brand new 5.11 boots on a short ruck march because he got them in the mail, pulled them on, and went for a ruck march.

A lot of the old foot care tricks come down to keeping your feet dry, preventing chaffing, and reducing pounding. A good pair of modern tech socks does that. I'm a huge fan of the Fox River Wick Dry Maximum line.

As far as boots I, like others, have been fine with issued boots. I never bought a pair of boots the entire time I was in. I walked 26 miles at the Bataan Death March Memorial in a pair of well broken in issued Belvilles (and Fox River socks) with no issues.* People that have walked way more than I have also recommend issue boots.

Here's my advice. Don't spend a bunch of money on expensive boots you may not need. Buy a pair or two of good socks for rucking, land nav, and the field at OCS. If you get to your unit and find your feet or your training would benefit from some fancy boots then spend that money.

*Except a nice deep blister in my heel because I was a moron and never changed my socks the whole day. Even then, it didn't interfere with the march and the healing was minimal.
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:22 am

Another way to protect your feet is to wear a pair of dress socks under regular boot socks. This combination does a great job of reducing friction as well.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous

Return to “Miscellaneous”