Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Convoy Training?

Sampson
2LT
2LT

Convoy Training?

Postby Sampson Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 am

Are there any Transportation PL's out there who have any good convoy training advice? I have a Distribution Platoon and would love your input. We do alot of convoys, and the current PL that I am taking over for said that convoy training is something he wished he could have done more of, and would be most beneficial to us. Ideas???
xok
CPT
CPT

Convoy Training

Postby xok Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:54 am

When you do runs for PT you can break people into groups just like they'd be in a vehicle and you can do a 'road march run' and throw in things like vehicle recovery drills, react to contact, getting into a wagon-wheel formation or herring-bone formation. But keep it all at a run. If you have to stop you can jog in place or do exercises to mix it up.

There's also FM 4-01.45, January 2009, Tactical Convoy Operations.

Depending on your day-to-day missions, some of the best convoy training (outside of actually going to a live-fire range) is just doing your daily missions to deployment standard (using briefs, strip maps, comms, etc). And, time/area permitting, you can throw in training elements. For example, you're driving along conducting your normal mission when you randomly get on the radio and inform the entire convoy that vehicle X just got hit and suffered Y and Z casualties (or you can pass out some casualty cards ahead of time coordinating with just that crew and they can call out that they've been hit). Imagination can keep routine missions fun and create concurrent training opportunities.
<div>JTFCS</div><div><br /></div>
Sampson
2LT
2LT

Postby Sampson Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:27 am

You know doing this while doing PT is very creative, and I really think I can use that alot. We do alot of running in the 82nd, and this would be great for us....Thanks!
xok
CPT
CPT

Postby xok Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:34 am

You know doing this while doing PT is very creative, and I really think I can use that alot. We do alot of running in the 82nd, and this would be great for us....Thanks!
thanks, I think it's fun. There's a similar method (for tank crews) in the book small unit leadership, and though I didn't get the idea from there, it's nice to see that someone else also thought of it.
<div>JTFCS</div><div><br /></div>
NoSlack
1LT
1LT

Postby NoSlack Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 am

I was lucky to lead a Trans PLT and do all the convoys for my BDE during my first year.

The biggest thing is PCC's and PCI's, and rehearsals. Making sure your commo is working and you have some knowledge to fix it, and also Soldiers need to rehearse. The best infantry leaders lost the fewest Soldiers and say it went back to constant rehearsals. I took their mentality, as a Transportation officer, and trained my guys hard.

Return to “Transportation”