Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

M.I. Pipeline to 75th Ranger Regiment

hdbreakout2013
ArmyOCS.com Member

M.I. Pipeline to 75th Ranger Regiment

Postby hdbreakout2013 Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Happy Veterans day to all those who have served.

I was curious if anyone had done the Korea pipeline route for the 75th Ranger Regiment? If anyone has information, or has done it and wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions I have please PM me. Thank you in advance!
hooah05
CPT
CPT

Re: M.I. Pipeline to 75th Ranger Regiment

Postby hooah05 Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Happy Veterans day to all those who have served.

I was curious if anyone had done the Korea pipeline route for the 75th Ranger Regiment? If anyone has information, or has done it and wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions I have please PM me. Thank you in advance!
It is beneficial for the forums if you post your questions here vice PM conversations.
hdbreakout2013
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby hdbreakout2013 Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Sir,

Was curious if they have recruiters at MIBOLC that select for this pipeline?

Selection based on OML at BOLC?

Are you stationed at Camp Humphreys in South Korea?

Is it an accompanied tour? For one year?

Pipeline= 1 year Korea, Airborne and Ranger School (if you don't have it) then RASP 2?

Then on to the battalion who needs you?

Thank you for the help in advance!
patmcd35
CPT
CPT

Postby patmcd35 Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:39 pm

When I was in MIBOLC July-November 2012 they had some Ranger peeps come on down to Huachuca to conduct assessment (I think that's what they called it). You'll take a PT test with some Ranger modifications among some other things.

From my understanding at the time, they came often enough that you would have a chance during your time there, but I don't know how it is now.
nchopp
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator

Postby nchopp Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 am

SBOLC in 2011 we had five slots to start with, which got cut down to two. Regiment Recruiters came down and interviewed all the interested LTs. The two that got selected both made it through RS (one on his first attempt, other got injured during Mountain phase). They then went on to be PLs - one in Korea, the other to 1ID at Riley. Not sure what's going on with them from there.
"Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility." Peter F. Drucker
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:38 pm

My roommate from OCS went through the pipeline in 2009. As I understand it, 75th recruiters came to MIBOLC to talk to them. He was a PT stud (D1 wrestler, fast runner) and I suspect there was a physical element to the selection but I don't know for sure. I know he went through RS after BOLC (saw a picture of him as a tabbed 2LT), went to Korea for a year (not sure what unit), then went to a Ranger bat to work in an S-2 shop.

That's all I know. I have never been. But I will say, physical fitness counts for a lot in the Army. If you show up maxing your PT test that will help a lot if you are interested in something like this.
hdbreakout2013
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby hdbreakout2013 Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information and experiences.
robmike
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby robmike Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:09 am

Hello,

Sorry to revive an old thread, I found the information here extremely interesting and was curious as to whether or not it is still accurate all these years later.

I found further evidence of the existence of these pipelines for support/enabling branches in the FAQ section of the Regiment's recruiting website yet the website states that these programs are based on manpower projections and recruiting needs. Do these programs currently still exist and the amount of officers they accept fluctuates based on need? Or are these pipelines simply done away with entirely when operational needs for support/enabling branches are met? Essentially, while the Regiment has a voracious need for infantry officers, is there a consistent annual need for support/enabling officers such as military intelligence or signal corps as well?

Thank you all.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm assuming you are referring to the following FAQ on the Ranger Regiment webpage. It is chock full of useful information and extremely up to date for an Army webpage. It is worth reading carefully.

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... iting.html

The answer to your questions is that no one here can answer them. The answers to those questions are known only to Regimental S1 and Big Army.

A better question to ask would be "How do I, robmike, get to Ranger Regiment?" There are two possible sources of information about that question. One, the 75th Officer Recruiting e-mail listed on the FAQ page. Two, the good people at armyranger.com. I'm not sure how active their website is. But they are a community of current and former Rangers and will be able to tell you a lot more about getting into Ranger Regiment than we can.

Free tip, if you approach either of those sources I would use a lot less words than you did here. Something like, "I'm robmike. I'm currently [insert status here], would like to branch [desired branch], and am interested in serving in Ranger Regiment."

Your post here used a lot of words to ask not very much question. Infantrymen tend to be pretty direct and often short fused. Especially in the light world. You could easily talk to someone at either source that may have input on your selection down the road. Make a good first impression by being concise and professional.
Last edited by PhantomWarrior on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
robmike
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby robmike Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:24 am

Sir,

Understood and thank you for your help and the sound advice.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:58 pm

If you want to go to Ranger school then you need to start looking like the guy that wants to go to Ranger school. Right now. Start visibly doing the extra PT, carrying a ruck around with 50lbs throughout the day, doing lots of extra PT, reading the 7-8 and anything else that will help you at Ranger school. Tell your Boss and the CSM every chance you get that you want to go to Ranger School. You've also got to sell it in a way that leaves no doubt you're also focused on being the best you can be in your current assignment so you better be pretty damned good every day at your day job. Carry this advice into BOLC and your first duty assignment, and even your second. Stay engaged with your assignemnt officer. The worst that will happen is that you get lost in the shuffle but you're there right now anyway. Chase the dream dude.

Be the obvious choice when and if a slot ever opens. You'd be surprised at what unrelenting tenacity will produce.
I found this post in an older thread about Ranger School. Dpar has been in the Army about 53 times longer than I was and exceled at every job he ever had. Read this post, and everything he writes, and heed it. I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded part and will add a few observations of my own in the next post.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:37 pm

I agree 100% with with "start looking like the guy that wants to go to Ranger School."

Here are a few thoughts of my own.

PT
Crush your PT test. From your Intro it looks like you are already doing that. Make sure your distance running is up to par. Five miles in 40 minutes is a Ranger School standard. Make sure you can run farther than two miles. Start rucking (walking with a heavy backpack) and be ready to handle rucking in your first unit.

ACADEMICS/JOB PERFORMANCE
Be good at your job. No matter what your job is. It is a small target but shoot for Soldier of the Cycle at basic. Be in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform, doing the right thing. Max you PT test.

Work to excel. At OCS try to score high on the Order of Merit List (OML or class ranking). Be a Distinguished Military Graduate. Top...20%, I think. Shoot for Distinguished Graduate in Academic, Leadership, or PT.

At BOLC try to score high in your class and kill your PT. At your first unit excel at your job. Try to get Officer Evaluation Reports (OERs) that speak to the quality of your performance. You want to hear you are in the top 10% or 20% of your cohort. Or the number one Lieutenant I have rated.

RANGER QUALITY
Don't be content with the basic morning PT of pushups/situps/two mile run. Be the LT in the gym after work lifting weights, doing Crossfit, or out ruck marching.

Get a Ranger Handbook and start studying. It might not make a ton of sense to you but start now. I'm the farthest thing from high speed but I like this version. You can't go wrong for $11.

https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Ranger- ... 1616088774

Whether you get approached by Ranger Regiment recruiters at BOLC or you apply during BOLC, at your first unit, or at CCC you want to be impressive. Be the guy who is killing his PT test and is awesome at his job. Those are the kind of guys who get picked up for Ranger Regiment.
robmike
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby robmike Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:15 am

Sir,

Thank you for informing me about Dpar and I will be sure to implement the approach he's discussing by working harder and smarter on my physical fitness immediately.

I also really appreciate your input, especially the same emphasis as Dpar on physical fitness and being the LT in the gym after work.

I'll be sure to start studying the Ranger Handbook right away, thank you again for all this advice.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:15 pm

I had one more thought this morning. When you get your branch at OCS reach out to your branch manager. That is the person who assigns all the officers in your branch to their next assignment. Some LT branch managers are willing to work with you on the assignment you want, some aren't. If your branch manager is amenable try and get orders to a light unit.

I've listed the options for a light unit below. Ranger Regiment is the premier light infantry unit in the United States Army. Serving in another light unit will be good preparation for being assigned to Ranger Regiment. Also, a lot of senior officers bounce between Ranger Regiment and light units. If you get assigned to a light unit you will likely have a boss who has been assigned to Ranger Regiment and can write you a solid recommendation.

LIGHT UNITS
82nd Airborne Division (Fort Bragg, NC)
173rd Airborne Brigade (Vicenza, Italy)
101st Airborne Division (Air Assult) (Fort Campbell, KY)
10th Mountain Division (Fort Drum, NY)

When in doubt...

Infantry (Airborne, Air Assault) > Stryker > Armored Brigades when it comes to experience for Ranger Regiment.
Ljacksoc
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Ljacksoc Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:21 pm

PhantomWarrior

That thought has crossed my mind a few times. After selecting a branch at OCS, to try and contact my branch manager for a specific duty station. I just wonder the success rate on new 2LT's coming out of OCS getting there preferred duty station.

Once you branch at OCS, how long should you wait to contact them? A week or two after branching? Or towards the end of the course?
robmike
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby robmike Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Sir,

Thank you again for helping me, the advice you're giving me is great and really giving me a solid foundation to set out and achieve my goals in the Army.

On your latest thought though, can an MI or SC officer be placed in a light unit such as those?
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:27 pm

That thought has crossed my mind a few times. After selecting a branch at OCS, to try and contact my branch manager for a specific duty station. I just wonder the success rate on new 2LT's coming out of OCS getting there preferred duty station.

Once you branch at OCS, how long should you wait to contact them? A week or two after branching? Or towards the end of the course?
Assuming you are a college op going straight from OCS to BOLC to snowbird I would probably contact your branch manager not long after reporting to BOLC. A week after branching I'm not sure you'll be on their radar yet. When you get to BOLC that will also give you a chance to talk with your fellow 2LTs and get a feel for your branch manager.

Like I said, some BMs are very willing to work with you on the duty station you are interested in. Some are not.

EDIT TO ADD: You don't want to wait until the end of BOLC to contact your BM. At that point they probably already have you slotted into an assignment and orders may be cut. Then you have to find someone to switch with you. You want to contact them early enough that they still have a big pile of new 2LTs and a big pile of assignments to put them in.

On your latest thought though, can an MI or SC officer be placed in a light unit such as those?
They can. You'd probably be a battalion assistant S-2 (intelligence officer) or S-6 (communications officer). There are also slots available such as being a platoon leader in the brigade Signal company or MI company.

Return to “Military Intelligence”