Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Master's Degree Advice & Recommendations

Pursuing your masters, looking for good distance education programs, etc.
Frailer
Army Officer

Re: Master's Degree Advice & Recommendations

Postby Frailer Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm

In light of the apparent (returning) preference on part of the Army for senior Captains to obtain a master's degree prior to becoming a Major...
The operative word being "apparent."

I'm still not clear on how that particular conclusion was drawn.

I'm not discouraging anyone from getting an advanced degree, but by the same token I think some are putting more emphasis on its importance than it deserves.
Mktennis
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator

Postby Mktennis Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:28 pm

In light of the apparent (returning) preference on part of the Army for senior Captains to obtain a master's degree prior to becoming a Major...

I'm not discouraging anyone from getting an advanced degree, but by the same token I think some are putting more emphasis on its importance than it deserves.
Sir,

I think that this, concerning the recent MAJ board, is why people are discussing this issue at such length,
The selection rate for officers with advanced educational degrees was 75%,
while
the selection of officers with only a bachelor's degree was 62%.
There would seem to be a correlation between a higher educational attainment and promotion potential. Now, it may be that those who would seek that education are the type who would display the characteristics to be picked up for MAJ. But, that's why people are drawing the conclusions they are.
<div>I have never believed in depriving military service to a country man because he is [amongst other things] already unaccustomed to baths, ignorant of worldly delights, and simple in mind." ~Vegetius</div>
Lionheart
Retired Officer

Postby Lionheart Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:38 pm

Absent the release of higher resolution data, I caution anyone from drawing many conclusions about this. There are far too many potential variables that have a stronger causal influence on the promotion rates than having a grad degree.
...racist homophobes who talk like kind of victorian steampunk neo-nazi get no free pass for being \'misguided.\' - The Badger
DavidE
Retired Officer

Postby DavidE Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:50 am

We're better off divining from chicken bones and ouija boards right now than to expect any quantitative data.
<div><br /></div>
ABNSigO
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator
Location: The Center of the Universe...and the 17 other known galaxies.

Postby ABNSigO Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 pm

We're better off divining from chicken bones and ouija boards right now than to expect any quantitative data.
Wow, that's so Big Army. Here in USASOC, we use druid runes and goat blood.
"I often hear someone say I'm not a real runner. We are all runners, some just run faster than others. I never met a fake runner." -- Bart Yasso
The Badger
MAJ
MAJ

Postby The Badger Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:24 pm

Absent the release of higher resolution data, I caution anyone from drawing many conclusions about this. There are far too many potential variables that have a stronger causal influence on the promotion rates than having a grad degree.
There's one thing (well maybe two) that affect promotions, that an officer can control.

(1) Manner of performance.
(2) Derog.
ATW!

"Working hard at something you enjoy isn't 'dedication.' Working hard at something you hate is." -Frailer
Frailer
Army Officer

Postby Frailer Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:48 pm

I've seen enough guys/gals get burned by chasing some "promotion formula" to know you don't want to be that guy.

If you need a master's degree for a job, get one. If you want a master's degree, get one. If you think a master's degree will increase your promotion odds...don't waste your time.

Unless something radical changes, the "secret" to getting promoted is to:

- Seek "tough jobs"
- Do well in those jobs

In roughly that order. If you do those two things--barring getting caught doing something illegal or immoral--you'll probably be OK.

My two cents.
Lionheart
Retired Officer

Postby Lionheart Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 am

I've seen enough guys/gals get burned by chasing some "promotion formula" to know you don't want to be that guy.

If you need a master's degree for a job, get one. If you want a master's degree, get one. If you think a master's degree will increase your promotion odds...don't waste your time.

Unless something radical changes, the "secret" to getting promoted is to:

- Seek "tough jobs"
- Do well in those jobs

In roughly that order. If you do those two things--barring getting caught doing something illegal or immoral--you'll probably be OK.

My two cents.
Fully agree; though I would add one thing:

Randomness. Note that I didn't say luck...which is, to an degree, within your sphere of influence. But randomness is completely outside your control, and plays a much greater role in determining the trajectories of our lives and careers than we, as typical Type-A high-achievers, want to admit.
...racist homophobes who talk like kind of victorian steampunk neo-nazi get no free pass for being \'misguided.\' - The Badger
Jonesey
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Jonesey Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

My point on "good" grad degrees is for those of you leaving the Army. That GO..who cares where he/she went to grad school (heck, they've all got MA degrees in Security Studies or somesuch anyway), they're career officers.

For those who leave in the next few years (by choice or otherwise) a grad degree can serve to bridge your Army experience into a civilian one by quantifying your knowledge in ways civilian HR folks understand.

Also, no one will ask why you went to Stanford. Webster, not so much.

That said, don't confuse the best program with the biggest name.
<div>Former Infantry NCO: USMC and California Army National Guard<br /></div><br /><div>"Be less stupid."</div><br />
Frailer
Army Officer

Postby Frailer Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:25 pm

...randomness is completely outside your control, and plays a much greater role in determining the trajectories of our lives and careers than we, as typical Type-A high-achievers, want to admit.
We don't want to admit it when we're getting selected and promoted.

We're happy to admit to it when we don't make the cut.

Return to “Education Opportunities”