Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

What to bring to basic?

Physical Training, Getting Ready, Soldiering and Training
jkdude1
ArmyOCS.com Member

What to bring to basic?

Postby jkdude1 Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:39 am

Hi all,

I have a saftey razor that I wanted to bring with me to basic. I was just wondering what everyone brought with them on the flight over (I'll be at Ft. Jackson). I got the packing list, but wanted actual advice from people who have been through before.

Thanks.
forcedcobra
CPT
CPT

Postby forcedcobra Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:25 am

Don't bring a safety razor nor the razor refills. Pick up a Mach 3 and a 12 pack of those cartridges. Youll have the opportunity to buy hygiene items while you're there.
jkdude1
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jkdude1 Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply! The only reason I wanted to bring a safety razor is that I have really curly facial hair (African decent), and anything but a safety razor gives me razor burn/bumps after.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:11 pm

It's been my experience that men that have a problem with razor bumps can get a "no shave" profile. This authorizes them to use clippers to keep very closely clipped facial hair. Without being clean shaven.

Were you specifically asking about the razor? Or were you wondering about the packing list in general? What else is on it? When I went in they had a long list of items. I (my mother, actually) dutifully bought a brown towel and shower shoes and every other thing on the list. Only to show up at MEPS and have to buy the PX brand items so everyone would be uniform. And I got to be the private dragging an extra duffel bag of crap while we all got shark attacked. Not awesome.

I shipped out with the son of a former Marine and career National Guard officer. He showed up in sweats with his driver's license in his pocket. I wouldn't go quite that far. But I would bring no more than a small back pack with your documents, a few hygiene items to get you to basic, a paperback or deck of cards for entertainment, and maybe a spare T-shirt or change of underwear.
Last edited by PhantomWarrior on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jkdude1
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jkdude1 Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:41 pm

PhantomWarrior,

Thanks for your information! I was mostly just wondering about the razor, but from what you've told/what I've been reading so far packing light seems to be the right option. Do you remember about how long you in-processed for basic?
nchopp
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator

Postby nchopp Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:07 pm

Do you remember about how long you in-processed for basic?
It varies, but it's approximately a week. Depends on when you get there, and when your line company is picking up.

Concur on packing light. I brought in a backpack:
  • Extra pair of socks\underwear
    Deodorant
    Toothbrush\Toothpaste
    Accordion binder with all vital documents (birth certificates, marriage certificate, social security cards, etc.)
    Several envelopes stamped and pre-addressed to Household 6
"Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility." Peter F. Drucker
jkdude1
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jkdude1 Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Noted on the backpack. I read that a copy of the SSC is okay, in your experience does reception prefer your actual SSC? I'm just a little hesitant to bring it with me, and have it just sitting in my backpack while I'm at BCT/OCS.

Also did you have any time for PT on your own time during the week? Not that I'm looking to go on a ten-mile run or anything, just to do a few push ups/sit ups.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:05 pm

The trainee to cadre ratio at reception is crazy high. If you aren't somewhere processing with your 200 closest friends you basically sit in your bay and they leave you alone. If you want to do some pushups and situps on your own time no one will care.
nchopp
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator

Postby nchopp Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:08 pm

What's the SSC?
"Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility." Peter F. Drucker
jkdude1
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jkdude1 Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Social security card.
nchopp
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator

Postby nchopp Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:52 pm

I had to bring originals of everything.
jkdude1
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jkdude1 Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:03 pm

nchopp, thank you for the information.

Return to “Preparing for Basic Training”