Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

At OCS While wife is Pregnant

Questions about class dates, reporting procedures, and other miscellaneous issues.
Cupofjoe123
ArmyOCS.com Member

At OCS While wife is Pregnant

Postby Cupofjoe123 Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:37 pm

I am currently stationed oversees and received my report date to OCS. My wife is pregnant and due to have our baby halfway through the course.
My leadership said that I should try to push my date a bit so that I won't miss the birth, but I was also told that pushing the date looks bad on the soldier.
Does anyone have advice for a situation such as this. I would be able to attend OCS a week after she gives birth, but we also don't want my career to be hindered in any way. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
DStephens
CPT
CPT

Re: At OCS While wife is Pregnant

Postby DStephens Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:13 pm

Who told you pushing the date looks bad on the Soldier? Pushing the date because you want to attend a Star Trek convention in Vegas would look bad on the Soldier. Pushing the date for the birth of your child should be a non issue. I always greatly dislike when people say "it will look bad on the Soldier" but at the same time say "take time for your family". My opinion, if you are able to get a later OCS class date, and that is what you want, go for it. Think about it, going to OCS 6 months later than you were initially going to will no way negatively affect your career progression (unless you get out of shape and fail - don't do that). You'll just be a 2LT 6 months later than you originally would have been.

All that to assume getting another class date is not hard. If you cannot get another class date and this is it, that's going to be a fun talk with your wife. Also, remember situations like this when you are a leader and what kind of support your Soldiers expect from you.
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:54 pm

I agree with what DStephens laid out for you I would like to add a personal anecdote as a means of managing your expectations should you go to OCS and she give birth while you are there.

While I was at OCS my father-in-law passed away. By regulation, an in-law does not fall under the immediate family where I would have justification to request emergency leave. However after talking with leadership, I was granted leave for 48 hours (basically leave Friday and report back Sunday night).

My point being that there might be some latitude to let you leave to be with your wife. However, understand that it may not be for very much time. Also, keep in mind that if you miss key training events you could be recycled. I tell you this to inform you and to manage expectations.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous

Return to “General Questions & Comments”