Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Tattoos and it's Stigma

Questions about class dates, reporting procedures, and other miscellaneous issues.
philsmith883
ArmyOCS.com Member

Tattoos and it's Stigma

Postby philsmith883 Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:21 pm

Out of curiosity, generally Officers with visible tattoos are frowned upon (at least where I have been and seen).

What is your take on Officers with tattoos? Have you gone to OCS, BOLC, or been in a unit with an officer that ja tattoos ? How did their superiors feel about it?
Fromage
CPT
CPT

Re: Tattoos and it's Stigma

Postby Fromage Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:01 pm

I have been in 8 units from BOLC to where I am now. From personal experience, I have not seen discrimination or stigma placed on any Officer from having a sleeve or otherwise visible tattoos. AR 670-1(3-3) subjectively outlines all the prohibited types that are prejudicial to good order and discipline, to include extremist, indecent, sexist, or racist tattoos. But if you have those, you're more than likely not going to get in or are on your way out.

The majority of Officers I've seen with extensive body art were prior enlisted who went green to gold. But usually the conversation is, "Oh look he/she has a sleeve." ---- "Cool". And we move on.

Maybe a long time ago it could have been indicative of a person more likely going against the grain, or not being a cookie cutter wholesome CPT America type, but I feel like it's a lot less taboo these days, if at all. My senior leaders have always been about performance, character, and whether someone is a team player over appearance, unless someone just looks sloppy.

Are you worried your personal tattoos will affect you adversely?
Last edited by Fromage on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The mass email for the USMA instructor positions is not a Phishing scam.
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:00 pm

I agree with Fromage. Where an officer might get an unfavorable reaction would be if the tattoos were visible in ACUs (sleeves down) or dress uniform but not in summer PTs. I wouldn't go running out to get something on your face or on the back of your hands but tattoos on the arms and legs are pretty standard these days.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous
philsmith883
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby philsmith883 Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:30 am

In regards to Fromage question, no, I am not worried that my tattoos will affect me. I just wanted to ask the question to a bigger community and see their opinion.

Return to “General Questions & Comments”