Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Waiver Issue

Questions about boards, meeting commissioning requirements, different entry programs, required knowledge, etc.
jonjon2997
ArmyOCS.com Member

Waiver Issue

Postby jonjon2997 Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:56 pm

I am devastated right now. Prior service with 7 years active, trying to go OCS. I went to the board 2 weeks ago (after 3 years of work getting packet ready), and I passed. I was awaiting a waiver to come back for my Age (i am currently 34) and they sent an email back saying that i cannot be done for some reason or another for OCS. Does anyone have any insight, any loophole, anything that I can do. Seriously devastated right now... so much work, so much waiting, and now this. any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Re: Waiver Issue

Postby PhantomWarrior Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:45 pm

One, take a deep breath and let it out. This is not the end of the world. Your life will go on. Not to sound old and curmudgeonly* but this is a small bump in the road called life.

Two, this is going to be complicated by the fact that you are not on active duty. USAREC is an additional barrier that may be more difficult to get through than if you were an active duty Soldier. You might try asking you recruiter if they have any information on the FY18 OCS requirements for USAREC. I know the active duty requirement change every FY. Sometimes drastically. With the Army growing modestly you might have a chance in FY18.

Three, do you have any connections still on active duty? Especially high ranking type connections? I was able to finagle a branch transfer as a 2LT fresh out of OCS even though the Army's policy was "no transfers." The right people, especially people with stars, can sometimes make stuff happen.

Four, keep your head up and drive on. Maybe you will get in now, maybe you won't. There were some people that were 40+ commissioning during the surge. All you can do is give it your best shot and keep your eyes peeled for opportunities in the future.

*I'm the same age you are.
jonjon2997
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jonjon2997 Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:20 am

PhantomWarrior. Great words of advice...AND THEY WORKED! I placed a few calls and eventually ended up contacting the Deputy director of G3, he signed my USAREC waiver and sent on to DA. I knew it was my last chance and had my fingers crossed. Sure enough about a week ago I got the call that it was approved and just signed my contract last Friday. I ship Jan 10th!!!
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 pm

jonjon,

I dealt with the age issue too as I was 35 when I went to OCS. A big part of the Army's (and USAREC's) flexibility with age waivers is current operational needs. I joined during the 2006 surge and needs were such that the Army raised the Title 10 age limit to 42 for college option officers (civilians).

I am glad you took the initiative and got the waiver. Your experience epitomizes one of the most important pieces of advice regarding your career you should never forget ... The person who cares most about your career is you. You are your own best advocate.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous

Return to “Commissioning”