Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Prior Service signed contract, ask me your question

Questions about boards, meeting commissioning requirements, different entry programs, required knowledge, etc.
jonjon2997
ArmyOCS.com Member

Prior Service signed contract, ask me your question

Postby jonjon2997 Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:28 am

I'm prior service and I just signed my contract, I ship Jan 10th. That being said my process took 3.5 years and pretty much every hurdle that could get in my way, did. If any of you prior service guys have any questions about the application process, or have hit a bump in the road, feel free to fire away and Ill answer to the best of my ability. Ill be checking in all day so responses should be fairly fast.

Age out of regs (34 right now 35 at graduation time)...USAREC waiver was denied 3 different times. passed on the 4th
2 unsat waivers (dropped out of ROTC, and did not go to NG drill)
Marginal PT score (265)
Poor Credit score (520)
GPA 3.0

All this was able to be overcome and I signed my contract. Some of it was out of my control, some of it was my fault, but in the end I never gave up and websites like this were a valuable resource so i'm trying to give back here.
WhiskeyPapa79brat
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Prior Service signed contract, ask me your question

Postby WhiskeyPapa79brat Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 pm

At what point was your credit score a hurdle? When did you have your board?
jonjon2997
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby jonjon2997 Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:21 am

Credit was an issue DURINg the application process. I was not allowed to board until the credit issues were resolved. Having a letter from a debt collector and 3 months of shown payments was acceptable to the person checking Clearance eligibility. I however just got the money and paid everything off, I had gone through a divorce hence the issues, but reasoning does not matter.

My board was in September, 8 personnel were there, 4 prior service, 7 passed. board was fairly easy and laid back, the common consensus was that the Army needed officers badly and that they weren't being incredibly strict or selective. Typically contract must be signed within 10 days, however my recruiter did not know that the age requirement needed a waiver (my packet has taken 3.5 years to complete and I turned 34 in may, because of this i was out of regulations and technically OUT OF WAIVER ELIGIBILITY. I think it is important for age waivers to understand that the waiver is for people UNDER the age of 34...it is not entry date, it is graduation date that they care about. My contract was signed roughly 70 days after board date, however they made a VERY small "board" and pushed me through.
AGaspar
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby AGaspar Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Good afternoon,

Your posts have been of help to me, I will be 33 by the end of this month. I am prior enlisted (CG). I'm guessing that I need to submit an age waiver at this point. Is that correct?

Me and my recruiter are learning this process as we go, so any information will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Return to “Commissioning”