Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Reserve board help

Questions about NG/AR OCS training. Please note that NG applicants can also visit www.armyocsng.com.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Reserve board help

Postby RedOctopus Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 pm

I'm putting together my OCS application and my recruiter doesn't know much (apparently I'm the second OCS candidate he's worked with). I asked him how does unit selection work and he said that the board I will be going to is an active duty board and if they decide they want to select me for active then I have to go active duty. I have specific reasons I want to be a Reserve Officer; is there only one board that decides for active/ or reserve duty? As a civilian, should I be contacting units now to find vacancies?

Also, I found this post elsewhere on Armyocs.com
I think you hit the nail on the head already: the only difference between your approved AD contract and a USAR version, is having a letter of acceptance from a USAR commander, accepting you for a specific paragraph and line number on his MTOE (roster of authorized positions, etc.).
As a civilian, do I need to have or bring a letter of acceptance to the board from a unit? Thanks.
JB
CPT
CPT

Re: Reserve board help

Postby JB Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 am

Your recruiter should get you open LT vacancies within your commuting distance. He's also the one who should contact the unit to ask for the letter. You might have to interview with the commander before they give you the letter.

I don't know if you need it for the board but it is needed before you can swear in.
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Postby 35FUSAR Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Example of body of text for Vacancy Memo:
1. An actual valid vacancy exists in this unit for Joe Smith for an officer position in the grade of O2, 92A, UIC: WQXZA4, PARAGRAPH: 105, POSITION: 0160, LINE NUMBER: 01, this vacancy is advertised on the REQUEST Vacancy Program; CONTROL # 5077220. Currently there is no officer assigned to this unit, including in over-strength, or awaiting position assignment on the Unit Manning Report, qualified to fill this vacancy.

2. Point of contact is the undersigned at (555) 123-4567 or email George.S.Patton.mil@mail.mil.

You might be able to fill CPT vacancies depending on the Branch. I say this because there are little to no LT vacancies that are ever posted. So if your recruiter isn't wise to this he might send you down the wrong path.

The 50 mile radius is often waived for USAR Officers, but keep in mind most the time you wont be reimbursed for travel costs.

The in person Board isn't going to be worried about your vacancy memo. That's for the packet review. When you need it depends on the process any given year. i.e. how complete are they requiring your Packet to be at the time of your in person Board.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby RedOctopus Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks for the information, 35FUSAR and JB. It's good to know now that I will need an acceptance letter before I swear in, as I can work on finding local vacancies now. I'll also have to talk to my recruiter because I know his senior NCO is pushing for me to go active duty and I'm not even sure if they have worked with Reserve officer applicants before. I was wondering if the process would be similar to the Air National Guard's, where I could check individual vacancies myself on their unit site, but it appears that's not the case.
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Postby 35FUSAR Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:55 am

I was wondering if the process would be similar to the Air National Guard's, where I could check individual vacancies myself on their unit site, but it appears that's not the case.
That's a negative.

I'm surprised how few Reservists actually know they can check Vacancies themselves (but you need your military ID card pushed into a smart card reader to access it through HRC).

You just need to know someone you can reach back to in the Reserves. Personally, I'd look at the website of a local Base, and then find resident units there. Ideally, you can contact one of them, and if your're lucky they can hook you up with a local Reserve Retention Office. They might not be able to submit your Reserve Packet, but they will probably know the process, and certainly know the vacancies, and if lucky be a resource for your recruiters.

When I went through the process the local recruiter was essentially only prepared to process Active Duty candidates that were straight out of high school, physically fit, and with a clean record in terms of legal problems. So it takes some work on your part.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby RedOctopus Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:59 am

I was wondering if the process would be similar to the Air National Guard's, where I could check individual vacancies myself on their unit site, but it appears that's not the case.
That's a negative.

I'm surprised how few Reservists actually know they can check Vacancies themselves (but you need your military ID card pushed into a smart card reader to access it through HRC).

You just need to know someone you can reach back to in the Reserves. Personally, I'd look at the website of a local Base, and then find resident units there. Ideally, you can contact one of them, and if your're lucky they can hook you up with a local Reserve Retention Office. They might not be able to submit your Reserve Packet, but they will probably know the process, and certainly know the vacancies, and if lucky be a resource for your recruiters.
I can definitely do that. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction! I feel like finding a unit that would sign me on would be beneficial during the board as they would possibly see that as taking the initiative.
When I went through the process the local recruiter was essentially only prepared to process Active Duty candidates that were straight out of high school, physically fit, and with a clean record in terms of legal problems. So it takes some work on your part.
That's my perception here. There is one other person who is an OCS candidate as well and after talking to him, it seems like this office mostly deals with high school applicants.

Return to “National Guard/Reserve”