Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Introduction - Everetttt

Post an introduction and tell us about yourself. This is the first place you post IAW with Site Rules.
everetttt
ArmyOCS.com Member

Introduction - Everetttt

Postby everetttt Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:40 am

1) Username - everetttt

2) Hometown - Missouri

3) Military Experience (Rank, MOS, TIS) - N/A

4) Age - 20

5) School - California State University

6) Major - History

7) Minor - Political science

8) Progress Towards Graduation - Junior with 2 semesters to complete degree

9) GPA - 3.1 cumulative, 3.61 in Major courses

10) Sports - 1 year NCAA Division 1 Track & Field, competed in Conference and NCAA championships

11) Activities - Community service with NGO which works with the homeless. Over 150 hours community service since last September. I hold a leadership position within the NGO and an advocacy position which has me speaking to crowds upward of 1000 people to attain funding & support for NGO.

12) APFT - 277. APFT score will probably change as I realized I have been testing myself in the wrong order. I have been doing run, sit up, push up. 13:20 run, 78 sit ups, 56 push ups.

13) Why I Want to be a Army Officer - My career goal is to serve the public in every role I fill. Whether or not my career will end in the military I have no idea, but I do know that is where I wish to begin it. Of all the branches in our military, the Army has the most opportunity for one to actualize their potential. The many branches and FAs give today's soldier the opportunity to develop their skills and become the most capable leader they can be. The Army's motto, "Lead from the front", resonates with me; in all my roles of explicit or implicit leadership (as the fastest person on my HS track team I was the implied leader), I have always thought it was necessary for me to lead by example with integrity and effort. I may not currently have every trait the ideal Army officer has, but I know I can learn and adapt those principles to my life.

14) Possible Branch Interest (i.e. Infantry, Aviation, Signal Corps) - Infantry, Military Intelligence, Physiological Operations, Civil Affairs. (I know PO and CA are not open to 2LTs).

15) Current Progress Towards Application - I have made no progress except for physical training and casual contact with recruiters. I am currently studying on exchange outside the US, so I cannot start an application.

16) Component Applying For (Regular Army [Active Duty], Army Reserve, National Guard) - Regular Army Active Duty

17) Additional Comments - I am just wondering my competitiveness for OCS. I have done extensive browsing through this forum and Army publications.
Last edited by everetttt on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Introduction - Everetttt

Postby RedOctopus Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:48 am

I know Active Duty is a lot more competitive than the Reserve, but it's my understanding there is really a shortage of officers in the Reserve (possibly for AD too). Regardless, I went to my board yesterday and I was selected for a Reserve Officer commission, which I had wanted. I'm 26, had a 2.32 GPA in International Relations, and a 238 APFT. I know they aren't stellar scores, but they do look at the whole person rather than just GPA. Maybe you will come up with a plan to do the Reserve. You'd still be an Army officer. Also, food for thought, most Civil Affairs and Psy Op units are Reserve units. That's my end goal as well and another reason I chose the Reserve.

Going off what I said, I think you'd be a shoe in for a Reserve Officer slot.
everetttt
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby everetttt Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:37 pm

I know Active Duty is a lot more competitive than the Reserve, but it's my understanding there is really a shortage of officers in the Reserve (possibly for AD too). Regardless, I went to my board yesterday and I was selected for a Reserve Officer commission, which I had wanted. I'm 26, had a 2.32 GPA in International Relations, and a 238 APFT. I know they aren't stellar scores, but they do look at the whole person rather than just GPA. Maybe you will come up with a plan to do the Reserve. You'd still be an Army officer. Also, food for thought, most Civil Affairs and Psy Op units are Reserve units. That's my end goal as well and another reason I chose the Reserve.

Going off what I said, I think you'd be a shoe in for a Reserve Officer slot.
First off, congratulations on your selection; I wish you luck for your time at OCS.

I appreciate your perspective. I have heard a few similar stories recently that the Reserve has been 'easier' than AD. Unfortunately, my interest is entirely in AD. I do hope to have a full-time role in our Army.
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Postby 35FUSAR Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:01 pm

If you are young like you two are and your end goal is Active Duty, the Reserves might provide a path to getting there in the event you do not get selected for Active Duty.

Being in the Reserves can put you in the right place at the right time. Not being in and waiting for Active slots to open up only adds years to your age and a lower rank when it does finally happen.

Once I got out of BOLC a few years ago Active Duty was taking all USAR Branch Qualified LT's regardless of Branch, and selected branch CPT's and MAJ's.

In my short officer time Reserve Civil Affairs has also pushed out recruitment e-mails for officer Branch Transfers as well.
everetttt
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby everetttt Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:57 pm

If you are young like you two are and your end goal is Active Duty, the Reserves might provide a path to getting there in the event you do not get selected for Active Duty.

Being in the Reserves can put you in the right place at the right time. Not being in and waiting for Active slots to open up only adds years to your age and a lower rank when it does finally happen.
35FUSAR,

I appreciate you sharing your experience with the forum.

Perhaps I should learn more about the possibilities of transferring from USAR to the RA. I did not know one could move into active duty as an officer. Though I do not believe I would find Reserve duty nearly as fulfilling as Active, if there is a legitimate chance for me to transfer to Active duty, it may be worth investing the time.

I just got off the phone with a recruiter last night (I have to call recruiters at 12:00-1:00 AM because I'm in Australia) who was very encouraging and told me that the Army is hurting for officers, both active and reserve. I will certainly exhaust all of my options working toward a Regular Army commission before I work toward the Reserve.

Cheers,

E
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Postby 35FUSAR Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:27 pm

What I'm saying is if you don't get selected for Active and then walk away then you've closed the door all together.

I have a Reserve Officer peer that is going Active Duty Navy, so I know it is possible. Your best bet is to contact a recruiter that knows what he's doing.

Also if in 6 years the army needs active officer again, and start pilfering from the Reserves they would pick you up as a CPT, and you wouldn't have to start from scratch putting in an OCS packet again.

Just something to think about.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm

Perhaps I should learn more about the possibilities of transferring from USAR to the RA. I did not know one could move into active duty as an officer. Though I do not believe I would find Reserve duty nearly as fulfilling as Active, if there is a legitimate chance for me to transfer to Active duty, it may be worth investing the time.

I just got off the phone with a recruiter last night (I have to call recruiters at 12:00-1:00 AM because I'm in Australia) who was very encouraging and told me that the Army is hurting for officers, both active and reserve. I will certainly exhaust all of my options working toward a Regular Army commission before I work toward the Reserve.
It is called the Call to Active Duty (CAD) program. This program is used to bring reserve component officers at specific points in their careers and with specific skills onto active duty. Historically this has only been Captains (CPT) and Majors (MAJ) in certain branches. Last fiscal year (FY) they opened up CAD to 2LT/1LTs in the reserve. This is almost without precedent. As long as I've been on this board reserve officers have had to beat the drum "The Reserve/NG is NOT a backdoor to active duty." It looks like this FY the door closed again and we are back to at least CPTs who have completed their Captain's Career Course.

MILPER for FY 2018 CAD program
https://www.hrc.army.mil/content/Call%2 ... %20Program

I think it is likely you will get picked up for active duty. But if you aren't I would not count on CAD except as a maybe way down the road. If the active force needs officers, you'll get picked up for active duty no problem. If they don't and you don't get picked up for active duty they definitely won't be raiding the reserve component.

Bottom line, your plan to pursue active duty now is a solid one. If it doesn't work out then you can reevaluate your plans at that point.
everetttt
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby everetttt Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 pm

I think it is likely you will get picked up for active duty. But if you aren't I would not count on CAD except as a maybe way down the road. If the active force needs officers, you'll get picked up for active duty no problem. If they don't and you don't get picked up for active duty they definitely won't be raiding the reserve component.

Bottom line, your plan to pursue active duty now is a solid one. If it doesn't work out then you can reevaluate your plans at that point.
PW,

I appreciate you supplying that info and your confidence that now is a good time for me to work toward an AD commission. It is good to receive some reassurance that I am headed down the road to success.

It did seem like the idea of seamlessly moving from the Reserve to the Regular Army was a bit too hopeful. I'm glad you posted that info to clear up the low probability of one moving to the RA early in their Army career (or at all).

Cheers,

E
everetttt
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby everetttt Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 pm

What I'm saying is if you don't get selected for Active and then walk away then you've closed the door all together.
35FUSAR,

I understand what you are saying. In the event I cannot directly earn an AD commission I will certainly work toward earning a Reserve or NG commission.

Cheers,

E

Return to “Introductions”