Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Introduction: AD OCS, Thomas, K

Post an introduction and tell us about yourself. This is the first place you post IAW with Site Rules.
kristopher w thomas
ArmyOCS.com Member

Introduction: AD OCS, Thomas, K

Postby kristopher w thomas Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:32 am

1) Username – Kristopher W Thomas (I made my username the same as my real name before realizing that was not the standard).

2) Hometown – San Antonio, TX.

3) Military Experience (Rank, MOS, TIS) – I’m currently a SPC, hoping and working towards pinning SGT in a few months. I am a 35M (Human Intelligence Collector) and come June 2018 will have served on active duty for five years.

4) Age – I am 30 years old.

5) School – I graduated Roosevelt High School in San Antonio, TX in 2006. I graduated Excelsior College in 2018.

6) Major – My degree is a Bachelors of Science in National Security.

7) Minor – My degree did not have a minor, but I do have an Associates of Science in Military Intelligence Studies, with a focus in Human Intelligence from Cochise College, which I received in 2018.

8) Progress Towards Graduation – I have completed both the previously mentioned degrees, and I will begin working towards my Masters in the near year.

9) GPA – My overall GPA is currently a 3.66.

10) Sports – I enjoy ultimate frisbee, basketball, soccer, and other sports. I played intramural basketball in college.

11) Activities – In my free time I enjoy relaxing with my family (wife, eight year old son, nine month old daughter), playing video games (currently focused on Kingdom Come: Deliverance), making music (I play guitar, sing, and make hip-hop songs), and hanging out with friends.

12) APFT – I scored a 297 on my last APFT. I next will be in April when I hope to score a 300.

13) Why I Want to be a Army Officer – I joined the United States Army with a desire to be an officer, but I needed to complete my degree and I wanted enlisted experience to better understand and lead Soldiers. I believe my experience, character, knowledge, and skills, as well as the additional training provided by OCS and follow-on developmental courses will ensure I am able to serve as a commissioned officer of the highest quality.

14) Possible Branch Interest (i.e. Infantry, Aviation, Signal Corps) – I desire to continue my service as a member of Military Intelligence, and possibly become a Foreign Area Officer in the future. 35D, 35E, and 35M officer options are also of interest to me.

15) Current Progress Towards Application – I have completed my OCS physical, received letters of recommendation, and am studying for the OCS Board. I will take an APFT in April and one in May or June (at least 30 days between them). I plan to submit in June for the age waiver, and submit the complete packet before 13 July deadline for the September selection board.

16) Component Applying For (Regular Army [Active Duty], Army Reserve, National Guard) – I am regular Army and plan to stay so for my entire career.

17) Additional Comments – The majority of officers in my unit are ROTC or West Point graduates. I asked our one OCS officer about OCS, and she directed me to this website. My commander is unsure how I go about getting a OCS Board or approval board and I would appreciate any advice or assistance regarding that question, preparing for the board, and in general. Thank you.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Re: Introduction: AD OCS, Thomas, K

Postby PhantomWarrior Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:47 pm

OCS boards are usually conducted at the BDE or post level. But if you are at Ft. Meade I'm guessing you may not have the neat BDE/DIV structure that some posts do? I would talk to the highest level S-1 you have access to or the post personnel office. The Fort Meade Personnel Operations Branch looks like it has something to do with OCS packets. They may at least be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

http://www.ftmeade.army.mil/directorate ... tions.html
kristopher w thomas
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby kristopher w thomas Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 am

Sir,

Thank you for the response. I will certainly take that route and keep driving forward.
SSGtoppingj
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby SSGtoppingj Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:10 pm

Like PhantomWarrior said, get with your S1 and they will get the information and coordinate the board. I am stationed at FT Hood and my BDE is in Georgia. My S1 got the info and coordinated everything. The board was a combination of in-person board members and VTC (Skype). Don't worry about studying for the board, just look over the questions and develop solid answers, they will ask some different/unexpected questions to throw you off and make you uncomfortable no matter how prepared you are. Good luck with your application.

Return to “Introductions”