Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Glasses regulation

Specifically for questions pertaining to OCS at Ft. Benning- 3/11 IN.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Glasses regulation

Postby RedOctopus Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:03 pm

I have a high prescription, and even with the "thinnest' lens material, the lenses itself are pretty thick, so I'd prefer to stick with my civilian prescription. I imagine the issued glasses will be quite unwieldy with coke bottle thick lenses. As far as civilian glasses, I wear a lightweight pair but with a slate blue frame with clear lenses (not the transition lenses)... There are no logos on them.

http://ar670.com/articles/view/1/wear-o ... -lenses/18

I read this, but it said "conservative prescription eyewear." Is that for more black or silver frames? Should I carry a copy of this regulation around with me when wearing my glasses in case (I assume I will), someone says I can't wear blue framed eyeglasses? Or invest in a black framed version of this frame?
JAG1
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Glasses regulation

Postby JAG1 Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:58 am

RedOctopus,

The regulation is vague for a reason, it gives the Commands room for interpretation on certain things like this. I would suggest finding a pair that are black silver or gold (the more traditional color frames). I had a Soldier with a subdued "purple" color frame and even in a garrison environment it was a hassle. Save yourself some trouble, and if you are thinking of taking them to basic they will most likely make you wear the ones they give you. The regulation says they can't be "trendy", which is definitely up to your leadership, and I would say they would be if they are anything other than a color in the uniform.

-Joshua
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:43 am

Be prepared to wear government issue glasses while in the Initial Entry Training pipeline. DoD issued glasses are very basic. In addition to black, silver, and gold frames you can wear brown frames. The optometrist has a decent but minimal selection. Thankfully, the old BCG glasses are no more. There are still solid plastic frames but they are not nearly as ugly.

They do not include anything special. No tint. No anti-glare. Bifocals but no progressive lenses and so on. If you want the special features you will have to go out of pocket for them..
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby RedOctopus Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

RedOctopus,

The regulation is vague for a reason, it gives the Commands room for interpretation on certain things like this. I would suggest finding a pair that are black silver or gold (the more traditional color frames). I had a Soldier with a subdued "purple" color frame and even in a garrison environment it was a hassle. Save yourself some trouble, and if you are thinking of taking them to basic they will most likely make you wear the ones they give you. The regulation says they can't be "trendy", which is definitely up to your leadership, and I would say they would be if they are anything other than a color in the uniform.

-Joshua
Thanks Joshua, I'll look into a more traditional frame color to have as a second set. I'm prepared to wear government issue during Basic, but afterwards I guess I'll see what the leadership will say at OCS. If they say no, then I'd at least have the DoD frame and maybe a more traditional color frame than what I have now as backups. Just wanted to check and see before I go back to the optician for another pair.

Return to “Active Duty OCS”